Teacher 2.0

Beauty Begins with Biscotti: Teacher 2.0
I made it to Fall Break! For the last two months, I've enjoyed the challenges and joys of teaching full-time in an elementary school. The transition from subbing whenever I wanted to showing up early five days a week and leaving late most days felt abrupt at first. However, I knew that this day would one day come.

In 2007, I began my teaching career in the public schools and taught for five years. This length of time allowed me to complete the requirements for my SC Teacher's Loan and ensured my continuation of certain benefits. This period of time also showed me that I could not devote my energy and attention to what mattered most to me, AND continue to teach where I was.

So, I chose to focus on my family as my older son went through high school and my younger son navigated middle school. I thank God every day for the opportunities and treasures I received as a mom just because I was there. 

Now that I have a college freshman and tuition is not free, I check the full-time status box. After polishing my resume and applying for various non-profit jobs, I kept cringing over the thought of working during the summer, weekends, Christmas break, and Spring break. I just couldn't bring myself to identify with anything other than an educator. And now, after four years of tending intently to my marriage, my children, and my soul, I am humbled and grateful for the chance to inspire and facilitate learning, insight, growth, and character. 

Beauty Begins with Biscotti: Teacher 2.0












Nine years later, I am not the teacher I once was. Experience, mistakes, mentors, and time have shaped me into a vessel filled with love, service, and purpose. 


My security in Christ gives me the freedom to look outside of my small world and focus on my students, my school, and my community. My pursuit of Jesus has brought balance and focus to my life, and the upgrade now allows me to enjoy both my family and work.

I'd love to hear what inspires you to find balance and focus in your life!

Comments