Top 5 Lessons From the Year

This time of year begs for a chance to turn our thoughts inward and evaluate the past 12 months or so. It's a good way to see what worked and what didn't. Yearly reflection keeps us from making the same mistakes and propels us to accept new challenges. As an introvert and a Capricorn, this process comes easily to me. Here are a few lessons from 2017:

5.) If it works, keep doing it. There are several routines and items that I've incorporated into my day with successful results. These procedures and additions have made a huge and noticeable impact in my life. 
  • Drinking Ningxia Red 2oz packets every day that I teach.
  • Working out at a gym where accountability is high.
  • Daily meditation on scripture with YouVersion

4.) Circumstances do not determine my happiness.
I really got a chance to learn this in 2017. I do not favor the current political climate. I haven't blogged since the summer. My marriage did not get the attention it deserved. My older son is spending a year at home and going to college in order to regain his scholarship. None of these situations are ideal, but they were reality. Here is where I found my happiness:

  • I am fearfully and wonderfully made
  • I am clothed with strength and dignity
  • God' peace guards my mind and heart
  • God is my comforter
  • The Holy Spirit guides me
  • God is working out my circumstances to bring about good

3.) I am human, not Wonder Woman. My rat race came to a halt in mid-November when the doctor gave me an inhaler and Zithromax for my bronchitis and blocked bronchial tubes. My body was aching for a break from the craziness and hectic life of a teacher. My bracelets and Lasso of Truth couldn't help me here. I had to learn to:

  • Get plenty of sleep. No, get ENOUGH sleep
  • Delegate what I can
  • Figure out what really matters and focus on that

2.) Change is inevitable.  This was one of the hardest lessons of the year. My beloved mother-in-law passed away quite suddenly in September. She brought laughter, love, and wisdom to our family over the years. A few months earlier, we decided to look for another church family. My heart was broken as we walked in faith for unknown horizons. Recently I wondered whose body was reflected in the mirror. It didn't always look that way. The Word of God has been my comfort through these transitional times. 

1.) Relationships matter most. J.K. Rowling remarked, "To be wrong is nothing unless you continue to remember it." I was wrong about where my time and attention should be focused. At the end of the day, what matters most is the quality of our relationships. Life seems effortless and smooth when I love and respect my husband. I'm most content when I feel close to my mom, sister, and brother. I'm committed to making time for my loved ones this year. 


What are your lessons/lesson you've learned from 2017? I'd love to hear your perspective! Are they the same every year?




Comments

  1. I love and agree with your lessons you learned form 2017. I guess my top two would be two of the same. Change is inevitable! Learning that very quickly in so many different ways. For example, I'm going to be a grandmother but my grandson and his parents may be moving sooner than later to your neck of the woods. My mom will be moving in with us this coming winter due to health related issues as she grows older just to name a few. RELATIONSHIPS MATTER and mine with Christ isn't want it needs to be always. It should be the most important and somehow it isn't always that way. Something that I need to continue to work on. Family, friends, etc. as well. Make time for those important to you before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, we are agree on Change and Relationships! So true for both. It's going to be different not having you on our 3rd grade team this year. You are someone we can always count on. How kind of you to have your mom stay with you guys! And listen, no one has it all together. I'm so glad that our Lord always has open arms for us!

      Delete

Post a Comment