From Shifting Sand to Firm Ground

Beauty Begins with Biscotti: No more shifting sand

Most of my blog posts are written with a retrospective glance. I have had so much to say over the past four years about how much I have been transformed by the love of God. And it's just easier for me to write about certain things after the fact. 

For example, it is probably best that I didn't blog about the struggles I was having while my husband and I were going through marriage counseling. There would not have been many encouraging words coming from the screen. Have you ever tried talking about, let alone blog about, life while suffocating under the cloud of depression? Opening up to others during that blue season of life is like trying to do jumping jacks in a barrel. 

I thank God and praise the Lord for not just getting me through those and other times, but for growing me through trials. 

This post is different, though. It's about what is going on in my life right now. In this moment. And it's harder to write. 

It has been a comfort and a cushion to have a few years between an experience and the expression of it. I've had time to process an issue, reframe it to fit my agenda, and separate myself from the pain surrounding the event. Writing about the here and now leaves me more vulnerable and strips away my shawl of time. 

And then, I am reminded of grace, the knowledge that I am unconditionally loved by the Creator and that my foibles, rebellions and sin are embraced and made whole by Jesus. One of my favorite scripture verses speaking about security in Christ is from Proverbs. She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.


image source:http://www.glossyblonde.com/

I am navigating unchartered waters. I'm learning how to be the parent of an adult. I'm going back to work full-time after taking four years off. My older son is entering college. My younger son is starting a charter school. Nothing new around here...

So, I'm simply standing on the firm ground I so fiercely fought for and putting one foot in front of the other. I'm trusting in the Lord as I send my kids off to new adventures. I'm reminding myself of the sweet promises that God offers his children. 

Are you embarking on a new phase of life or new opportunity? How are you letting God be part of this next step in your journey? 

Comments

  1. I have embarked on many new phases of life during my years. So grateful for a solid foundation! Married, divorced, single again at 40 something, remarried, moved to new town, new church family, new job, boys to college, one child married, becoming a grandparent, etc. the list is endless. I recently prepared a sermon on this very topic taken from Matthew 7: 24-27 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Oh how I have been foolish and not wise with the building of the foundation of myself so many times in my life. And yes the hardest part for me was letting God be in control of my journey and the FOUNDATION in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, thank you for sharing about your experiences and the lessons you've learned from them. You've been through many transitions, and you're going through them now. We've all had times that we can look back on and wonder... But I've learned more from my mistakes more than my successes. You have your eyes on the Lord, and that what matters. Thank you for the encouragement from Matthew, dear friend!

      Delete

Post a Comment