Journey to Brooklyn

Taking God at His Word has changed the way I do life. Being part of a community of believers has a lot to do with that. Bible studies, Life Groups and Sunday services have allowed me to ask tough questions, confront traditions, seek encouragement, and study the teachings of Jesus with others. In these communities, I noticed there were other moms, wives, daughters, sisters, and friends trying to put Jesus first in their lives, too. One woman stood out. Her name is Laura Beth Comer. 
Beauty Begins with Biscotti: Laura Beth
I met Laura Beth about eight years ago at church. She has a radiant glow about her, and she is downright beautiful. Her husband, Blake, was the new Youth Pastor, and he would soon become a trusted leader and mentor to my older son. 

We were both teaching full time in elementary schools, so we always had stuff to talk about. What struck me as odd was that Laura Beth always seemed to be cheerful. She didn't have the fake, make-me-gag happiness, but rather, she had a quiet joy about her. She had a no-frills way of telling about life just like it was, without complaining. She often talked about what scripture she'd been reading lately, and how it applied to her present condition. She was approachable and friendly. 
Beauty Begins with Biscotti: Laura Beth and Blake
I took note. I saw these qualities in Laura Beth years before I decided to believe God and trust Him. She was a source of inspiration during my trials of many kinds. 

Blake was cultivating a close knit Wednesday night youth group where the kids learned about Living in Christ (LinC). Laura Beth was successfully juggling teaching first grade, raising two small children, and singing in the worship band. And then, they decided to move their family to Brooklyn!

I was floored! They were surrounded by large families, good jobs, and a great church. What were they thinking? 

Their decision to relocate wasn't an impulsive choice. In fact, this move to New York had been in the making for quite a long time. I recently had a chance to talk with Laura Beth about this life-changing event. What she shared during our time together really moved me, and she was honored when I asked if I could share her experiences with you. 
Beauty Begins with Biscotti: Laura Beth Comer
Why did you move to Brooklyn?
We moved to Brooklyn with plans to meet people, live in community and share the Gospel. Our end goal is to eventually form a church out of this. 

How did you know this was God's will for your family?
Blake and I met and started dating in college. It was toward the beginning of our dating relationship when Blake told me that he felt like God had called him to plant a church in NYC. This topic came up when we were talking about past mission trips that we had both been on and I told him I went on a mission trip to NYC that gave me a distaste for the area. I basically told him I didn't like New York City and I would never want to live there. He then proceeded to tell me that he felt like the Lord was calling him to plant a church in NYC! 
Beauty Begins with Biscotti: The Comers
You can imagine my reaction. But, surprisingly, that didn't end the relationship. I tell people that I knew what I was getting myself into when I chose to marry him. The topic continued to come up while we were dating and I eventually became okay with the idea. I knew that he was the one I was to be with and so that meant if this was a real thing, then God would also call me to it. 

But what about actually moving there?
Well, we got married the summer after we graduated college and both found jobs. We went on trips every year to NYC and every time I fell more in love with the city. It wasn't until we visited Brooklyn that I felt a peace about it. God was showing me that this place could become our home. We eventually landed on Greenpoint, a Polish neighborhood in Brooklyn. Our place is right beside the park that I originally fell in love with while visiting. 
Beauty Begins with Biscotti: Greenpoint

Now, what's been the most difficult thing about this?
Let's see... well, after working and living in Greer, SC for six years, we felt it was time to start the journey to NY. We quit our jobs and moved to Columbia, SC. I know...that's not NYC! We went there to be part of Midtown Fellowship so that Blake could do a church planting internship. They have a program just for that. We were there for two years and we learned and grew so much. We saw what a church doing life as a family should look like, and we knew we wanted to bring that to NY. We began the fundraising process process while in Columbia and we were living below the poverty line, but we somehow still made it. Fundraising has definitely been the most thing for us. We just aren't great at asking for money, even though we know that it is biblical. But, since we've had to rely on the financial support of others, I believe our faith has grown tremendously. It is amazing to watch God provide for our family financially. We have not gone without. Every need continues to be met, even when it doesn't add up on paper. It's just another reminder that we are following God and he is faithful. 

Finally, what lessons have you learned through this?
Well, God has taught me lots of lessons. I guess the main thing is that His plan is best. Knowing that you're doing what the Lord has called you to do is rewarding, but not always easy. He continues to give us a peace that passes all understanding.

It was so encouraging to hear how Laura Beth and Blake completely relied on the Lord to guide their paths and meet their needs. I'll share more of our conversation in another post. For now, I wanted to give you the chance to meet this family and see what happened when a school teacher and a youth pastor decided to trust God and believe him. 

Here is their newsletter if you'd like to know more about them. 

Comments

  1. I have loved seeing the fruit of Laura Beth & Blake's obedience from the beginning of this journey and I look forward to many more years of watching their story unfold! -Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, I agree! Blake and Laura Beth are an inspiration to me, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment