What if we had never

BeautyBeginsWithBiscotti:Decisions

What if we had never moved? What if we were still living in Washington and hadn't moved to South Carolina? I pondered the thought for a brief afternoon while we were in Olympia. A few possibilities popped into my mind:

  • I'd be ten pounds lighter and fit
  • I'd have an electric car
  • My Lake Erie accent would still be intact
  • My Starbucks expenditure would more than it is now!?
  • My essential oils stash would be humongous

But then, I thought about all the wonderful experiences and opportunities that we might have missed if the PNW was our home the last fifteen years:

  • Nana and Granddaddy loving on our boys through farm life and country cooking
  • Christian discipleship from Alice Drive Baptist Church
  • Experiencing Freedom in Christ through Freedom Fellowship
  • Experiencing the joy of the Lord 
  • Understanding Southern culture and hospitality
  • Earning my Master of Arts in teaching degree
  • Visiting with my family in Ohio a few times a year
  • Friends I love, who really know me and love me

Decisions have never been easy for me, but I am so much better at making them now, praise the Lord! At a recent Living Proof Live event in Greenville, Bible teacher Beth Moore said to never make a decision based on fear. That advice is truth and the reverse also stands. Choose your path based on love and faith. Perfect love drives out fear. The What ifs, Maybes, and Should haves can make someone with anxiety and OCD go into a never ending loop of possible scenarios and create havoc in the mind. Luckily, Gods Word offers relief.

"We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 (HCSB)

Ahh! The encouragement and love that springs forth from Scripture is salve to an insecure heart and hope for a messy mind. Even if Dumbledore offered me a Time-Turner, I would not trade the past in for a chance to be more granola and chill. What I gained by moving to the East coast is more valuable than any earthly treasure. I've accepted Gods gift of love and I've found a joy that is secure in the Lord.

I am clothed with strength and dignity; I can laugh at the days to come. 
Proverbs 31:25 NIV (Changed pronoun She to I in order to make it personal)

What if we had never moved? I cannot answer that question, but I can rest in the peace of knowing that our God looks out for His children.

Comments