Listen to Your Body

Praise the Lord! My surgery went so well. I was wheeled back at 9:00 and was home at 11:15. I am not even kidding! Three weeks out, I'm amazed at the body's ability to heal. My incisions now look like slight scratches. Dealing with the gas used in the laparoscopic procedure was the worst side effect, but after three days, I could transfer from the recliner to my bed for sound sleep.

At the follow up appointment, the surgeon let me know that the inflammation in my appendix was caused by a non-cancerous tumor. The margins were clear and showed no abnormality, so that was reassuring. In about four weeks I'll have a colonoscopy to see if there's any funny business going on elsewhere. 

You guys, I just happened to go to the doctor that day. I hadn't been feeling well for a good week and had some classic kidney stone symptoms. I knew something wasn't right, but not sure what. The office just happened to have an opening. The surgeon just happened to be in his office that day to read the CT scan. After going back with Mark for extra ears on Wednesday to assess the urgency of this appendix, the hospital schedule just happened to allow a 9:00 surgery on Friday.
I know I'm not in the clear yet, but I thank God for His perfect timing. I thank God for getting my attention, for opening doors, for the expertise of doctors and nurses, and for orchestrating these series of events. Even without all the answers, I resolve daily to not worry, but instead to trust in the Lord. I also thank God that my mother-in-law could stay with me during the week of recovery. Mark had to be out of town for work following my surgery, so Betty was able to cook, clean up, do the laundry, clean the floors... Her selfless help was much appreciated and the boys loved having their Nana here to spoil them!
I encourage you to listen to your body and take action as needed. You know when something doesn't seem right. You don't need to be a full-blown hypochondriac, but go with your intuition and seek medical attention when you need it. Know that our God loves you and wants the best for you. There's beauty in taking care of your body, knowing that it is a gift from our Lord.  

Comments