Home Remedies

I really take my wellness for granted. At least I did until today. A sinus infection kicked my feet out from under me, and I landed hard on the ground. Praise the Lord for humbling me and for getting me on the road to healing. I finally ended up going to MD360 and getting it checked out after realizing that this girl wasn't getting better. I figured it was just my yearly achey ears, sore throat virus thing that magic mouthwash and prednisone help go away. But antibiotics were needed this time around.

I was able to research and make some home remedies to help with the discomforts of a cold that turned into an infection. I wish I would have known these and had these ready to use before I got sick. It's a lot easier to do when you're healthy. I'm writing to give you some tried-and-true ways to deal when you're working on getting better.

Sore throat and congestion:

Garlic lozenges. I know this is not for everyone, but it works, and garlic is so good for you anyway! Hey, I figured my breath was already bad, so why not try it? Get a clove, or a piece, of garlic and slice it in half. Suck on each half as you would a cough drop. There's something called allicin in the garlic that actually kills the bacteria that causes strep and eases the pain of a sore throat. I did this twice a day.

Salt Water Gargle. Your mom is still right about this and it definitely works. 

Ginger Honey Tea. I loved sipping this. It felt so soothing going down and it helped loosen mucus and helped me breathe easier. Wash and peel a piece of fresh ginger and slice it and crush it. Put the pieces in a mug and add a bunch of honey. Add boiling water and steep for five minutes. Enjoy with a cozy blanket. You can strain the ginger first, but who wants to do that when you're sick?! 



An excellent website for home remedies is Everyday Roots. After researching different methods, I used the ones that included ingredients I already had and were easy. I'm hoping you can tuck these suggestions away and bring them out when needed.

I felt like I "lost" a week. I couldn't work out, I couldn't work, I couldn't stay for all of Winter Jam, couldn't wear a negligee to bed, and couldn't feel well. Lots of couldn'ts. I did have lots more time to study God's word, and I was convicted and blessed by it. Who am I to demand health and a list of "must dos" in order for me to be happy? My selfishness and pride were stumbling blocks to thankfulness and contentment. A few key verses stood out for me.

Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Proverbs 3:7-8

At sunset, the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sicknesses, and laying his hands on each one, he healed them. Luke 4:40

"For I know the plans I have for you, "declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

So, I'm hoping you stay healthy and that these home remedies will make you more comfy when you're fighting a cold or sore throat. Know that there is a Healer and a Comforter that can make us well in this life and for all of eternity!

Comments