Hyacinths

I just love the smell of hyacinths. Of course, my nose runs and my eyes itch, but it's worth having the fresh floral scent all through my house. The bulb really is beautiful and this arrangement adds just a hint of spring to the cool April days. Something else I love about the flower is that the petals are hardy, not fragile. You can touch the white petals as you admire the plant, and it won't fall apart. But you really don't get the fullness of the scent until you get close enough to see the yellow peeking out from the textured ivory. 

That's also been my experience with the Bible. My leather edition looks noble and sophisticated on my end table, and it even coordinates with my bronze color theme. The words sound inspiring and uplifting in many of the chapters. I've carried it on Sunday mornings and taught children from it. But, it wasn't until I began to purposefully and intently look at the Bible as a living and active text that I was able to see and feel the beauty and joy it holds. 

As I breath in the intoxicating scent of the hyacinth, I'm again amazed at God's creation. The slow and purposeful breaths remind me that life hasn't always been easy, but now I have peace that only comes from the Word of God. 

The thing is, no one could have done that for me, and no one can do it for you. If you want peace and joy and love... or maybe you just want to know that somebody cares, then you will have to get close and personal with the living and breathing words of truth. 

It would be easy if I could just give you a spring bulb and make everything better. But then you wouldn't really know the beautiful scent that comes from Jesus. The cool thing is you can fall apart and be as fragile as china, but God will make you into a strong and beautiful woman that stands on firm soil. Yes, He will. But, don't take my word for it. Go, see. 




Comments