My First Smoothie Bowl!


Smoothie bowls are all over my Pinterest feed. These breakfast bowls promise quick and easy preparation, outstanding health benefits, and a gorgeous presentation. After viewing 11 Breakfast Smoothie Bowls, I took up the challenge. I make green smoothies for many of our breakfasts, so I figured this would just be a thicker smoothie in a bowl with toppings. Here's my review of my first Smoothie Bowl!

So, in order to create a thicker base than a regular smoothie, I decreased the amount of water and added greek yogurt. When I was looking around the web, I noticed that smoothie bowls are filled with more fruit and sugar than their drinkable cousins. Not sure why, though. 

Anyway, here's my recipe for Peachy Smoothie Bowl:
1 cup kale
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 frozen banana
2 cups frozen peaches
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
pinch of chia seeds
1 scoop chocolate protein powder

Topping:
cashews
granola
fresh blueberries


Blend greens, water, and milk in a blender until a liquid forms, about 10 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and thick. Fill two mason jars with the healthy goodness and then pour the remainder into your breakfast bowl. 


Here are some things to remember when making a Smoothie Bowl. Use Frozen fruit to make the breakfast thick and rich. Use milk or yogurt in addition to water to thicken the base. Add your fav toppings! 


I do like "eating" my breakfast, and I love the crunch that these breakfast bowls offer. Since I'm in the habit of making three smoothies at a time, I just kept the same measurements. This recipe makes enough for three smoothie bowls. 


The Smoothie Bowl was definitely thicker than a smoothie! I wondered for a second if the Vitamix was up for the challenge. It took me a little longer to make the bowl and my breakfast was freezing!

I'm glad I finally made a Smoothie Bowl, but I don't think I'll be making one again. If I'm going to eat something out of a bowl, it's going to be oatmeal or yogurt. I enjoy the taste and convenience of my regular grab-and-go smoothies. 

I'd love to hear your experience with Smoothie Bowls and what you put into yours!

Comments